UIBIO is an undergraduate student-led organization dedicated to the development of students in the biological sciences. The organization is free to join and open to all majors. Our purpose is to provide students with connections to research opportunities, career networking, and volunteering opportunities within the Biology Department and the University of Iowa across campus!
Frequently Asked Questions
Attend any event hosted by UIBIO, and sign-in using your name and student email address!
We are free to join, and open to all majors! We keep in touch with our members by sending out newsletters regularly. Once your email address is added to our list, you are considered a member! There are no requirements other than showing up to member meetings and other events as you can.
Events are a little different each semester, but all are open to students of any major.
- Starting in Spring 2020, we are holding monthly member meetings, where the executive board will go through updates and events for the month. Meetings will be followed by a speaker or social event.
- MCAT and GRE info sessions for students planning to take one of these exams.
- Speakers from various graduate programs and companies in the life sciences.
- Revies sessions before midterms for Foundations of Biology and Diversity of Form and Function, led by peer tutors in a lecture/Q+A format.
- Volunteering opportunities and elementary school outreach.
- Undergraduate research info sessions, with a panel of students who are currently in a research lab, as well as lab shadowing opportunities.
- Plant sale, tie-dyeing, and other science-related crafts.
UIBIO is led by an executive board of students that meets once a week during the school year.
Applications for the executive board are open to all students, and are sent out about halfway through the semester.
Green cords will be given to members at graduation who have demonstrated involvement and continued commitment to the club. Go to the "Earn Your Cord" tab for more information!